Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Meet Tom, Mercy's Husband

Mr. Thomas DeHaven is soon to have a few new things to wear!

This project took absolutely forever to make! There for a time, I thought that I really would not be able to make it happen the way that it has. However, on a little by little basis, while I kept working on it, I kept noticing new ideas and a few small successes that helped to keep me motivated.

Please read and observe all copyrights and red letter Guidelines at the foot of this post. The paper Doll Standards had to be designed by me from the ground up, so all of them are copyrighted. Thank you for the courtesy of honoring my copyrights and guidelines.

This doll has had to be redone 4 different ways. I found myself practically tearing my hair out at one point, as it simply didn't look right, even after several hours of trial and error with it. So I then put it away for a few weeks, waiting for some further insight as to why I could not make it appear any better. It was actually quite UGLY at one time, though nobody else would know it.

I am mainly a collage artist, although I have drawn and painted using a variety of media as well. Whenever using Photoshop, it pays to know how to collage as well as how to add perspective to different bits as they are being put together. Making things relate to each other is very important to the process. Regular (meaning cut and paste manual style) collage does not always allow for such things, but Photoshop does, thankfully. This I found quite handy in the end.

For, just look at our Tom! He looks young, accomplished, healthy and ready to play at the seashore already! You can believe me, friends, when I say that in the beginning, this project was looking perfectly awful. For example, my first try with this doll had him built a bit too much like he was working outside all of the time, and that lifting heavy objects was his job.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a buff, muscular man to my way of thinking. Some of them can be really quite handsome, too. But as Tom was an oarsman while he was attending college, and has since worked mainly in antiquities at the British Museum, I did not see how I could justify too sturdy a frame for this doll. He simply would not have been built to be as muscular as my first design had made him to look.

Since that time, though, I've found a number of ways of fixing the look of this doll until he could be youthfully attractive without so many muscles. That's much more in keeping with the story, to my way of thinking.

So that is the longwinded story of my adventures in making this very longwinded and much awaited project!
:)

For his very first outfit, I have chosen to give him a summery suit built for travel and sightseeing. He holds his straw hat in one hand, and wears a soft neck cloth instead of a workday tie at his neck. This was considered casual wear among those whose work dictated that they wear more formal clothing at all times.

Coming very soon
Some more outfits for all 3 of my dolls, along with some new European Travel Scenery! I hope to provide Tom with some more formal attire within the next few weeks. So be looking for more paper doll fun in the months ahead!

Happy Playtime Creativity!
:)


PPSPlaytime™: Mercy's Husband, Tom

Download Paper Doll HERE

Display version
(lower quality than the download)



Download Tom's Sightseeing Suit HERE

Display version
(lower quality than the download)



Download Tom's Custom Fit Standard HERE
Display version
(lower quality than the download)


You are free to:
play with or give or trade this doll
and any outfits made for it.
You are not free to:
ever sell either this doll or any 
of its accessories and outfits
for any reason.
Thank you
for helping me to 
keep free things free!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...